Sunday 11 March 2012

Australia!!

For those of you that didn't know...we just returned from our vacation to Australia. We have been talking about going since we moved here (really before that even- it just became a lot more realistic living on Guam) and figured we had better get it in while we could.
So- I know, I know... it is both pathetic and ridiculous that it has taken me over a week to get this series started. But let's face it, it takes time to get through 500+ photos and put something together worth sharing. And my free time at the computer is rather limited these days when the keyboard is constantly under the attack of a curious toddler. ;) For that reason, I have decided to break the trip up into 3 parts- in the hopes that I can get these posted quickly.

First stop...Cairns.

As friends had informed us, the weather in Cairns was really similar to that of Guam. It was pretty hot and humid. And, thanks to a colony (or whatever they are called) of bats they have occupying the trees in the middle of town, the entire city smelled like hot, sweaty mammal to me! ha! That said though, we had a lot of fun there! We spent the first day just walking and exploring. Lots of little cafes, bars, and shops. They have a great public pool they call a lagoon. It has a beach style, zero entry around one side with small fountains and shade for the kids. It gradually gets deeper- and people can hang out, sit and read, or swim. Quin had a blast and we were super impressed with how clean and well maintained it was for a free public space.







and the bats!




While we were there, we also did a boat trip and spent a day out on the great barrier reef. Because Ryan has taken up scuba diving since living on Guam, we figured there was no way you go all the way to Australia and don't dive the reef. Rather than take a day to go on his own to do it though, we decided to chance making it a family outing and picked a boat that had lots of fun options for everyone to enjoy. While Ryan was diving, Quin and I were able to take a ride on the glass bottom boat and submersible. They even had a small platform off the deck that they would lower into shallow water so the kids could safely swim and play. (eventually I will have more photos and video of the dive to share from Ryan's underwater camera)




Another day was spent traveling to visit the Kuranda, the rain forest just outside of Cairns. Here we took the sky rail and spent the day at a small little village (really just tourist shops) at the top of the mountain. You can stop along the way to take a few short walks to different view points. There were some pretty water falls, but I was a little distracted by spiders as big as my hand!? Yuck.









Over all, Cairns was a fun way to start the trip. Really, if you were not going to do the reef, I am not sure there is much to do there if you planned to stay long though?


2 comments:

  1. Oh my word, maybe I should tell you this in private, but I CANNOT stop laughing. When you were telling me about Cairns I thought you said it smelled like hot, sweaty men! I was so confused! The bats definitely do stink, though, and we'd take a long way home just so I could avoid them. Haha, I'm not sure if sweaty mammals are better or worse, though.

    Love the pictures! Can't wait to see the ones from your drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that spider is not okay...not okay!

    ReplyDelete