Thursday 6 October 2011

people actually run in this?!

When we first moved here to Guam, I had a hard time adjusting to the weather (ok- maybe more than just the weather, but I'll save that rant for another day). Specifically though, the temperature and the humidity. For anyone who knows me, you know that running has always been something I enjoyed. That was actually one of the best things about living in Hermosa. You never had to check the weather.  Just roll out of bed, throw on your shoes, and hit The Strand- always perfect! Well, living here on the equator, I am sad to say that the conditions do not exactly lend themselves to this type of fitness routine.

Eventually, you do adjust (or maybe just accept constantly sweating?) and find a way to workout. For most people that plan to be outside, this means up before dawn, or late at night. Even if you can manage to get out at a decent time to run, you take your chances with limited sidewalks, crazy guam drivers, or likely getting caught in a down pour. Well, this is not exactly ideal for someone with a jogger and an 8mo old., not to mention a dog.

All that said, somehow we have managed to run at a great park with a trail about 15 min from home most nights. Yes, you read that right. I said "we"! My husband, a life long hater of running, has actually picked up the habit. We have even started running races! It is insane the number of events they hold here! There is literally a 5K (or something longer) every weekend. We will be attempting our first half marathon in about a week. This will be interesting. Ryan has never done more than 5 miles at a time, and I will be pushing Quin in the jogger! I know what your thinking. And yes, just as I had to reassure the man that singed us up for the race, I assure you too that I know a half marathon is 13.1 miles. Miles, not Kilometers (he asked this as well to be sure). But the KoKo Road Race seems to be a big event here. So it will be an awesome experience to take part if nothing else. I mean, I didn't say we are trying to win our first half marathon! ;)

We'll let you know how it goes...but until then, here are a few photos from the races we've completed so far.







1 comment:

  1. You didn't tell me you were running a half! Good thing I read your blog. I've said it before, but you're better than me for running in this weather. I just can't do it!

    ReplyDelete